The City of Newcastle Council wanted a key mechanism through which Newcastle would benefit from the inclusion and contribution of Newcastle's multicultural communities. The development of a Multicultural Plan for the Council was identified as the best approach.
DiverseWerks undertook a range of activities on behalf of the Council to support the development of their Multicultural Plan. These included:
- Conducting a short literature and data review to identify current policy and program approaches to multicultural planning by Local Governments;
- Identifying, collecting and analysing relevant demographic data that would be used both to position the overall Multicultural Plan as well as inform the identification of stakeholders and communities that would need to be consulted;
- Undertaking internal consultations with City of Newcastle staff;
- Developing a broader stakeholder consultation plan;
- Developing a Multicultural Plan template for comment/approval;
- Developing a comprehensive draft multicultural plan;
- Delivering a final multicultural plan for the approval of the City of Newcastle Council;
- Developing an evaluation framework to assess achievements against the plan.
DiverseWerks delivered a coordinated and comprehensive final Multicultural Plan to the City of Newcastle Council, that was used as a tool to enhance the capacity of the Council. The Plan seeks to enhance the settlement contribution of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities to deliver vibrant, culturally inclusive and an economically prosperous Newcastle. Newcastle City Council adopted the Multicultural Plan in 2015.